Thanks to the many parents who were able to make it out Monday night to the MMS & MHS PTO Parent Engagement on helping students in a digital world. Technology enriches the lives of our students in many ways, but it can also be the source of significant problems for our teenagers.
At the PTO Engagement, Madeira parents had the opportunity to talk with one another about the potential dangers that surround teenagers and their use of technology and social media. Parents shared their best strategies ranging from how to have open and honest conversations with students to sharing tools that help parents monitor the use of social media in and out of the home.
Below are the “Top 10 Parent Strategies for Keeping Madeira Students Safe in a Digital World” that were the result of our latest PTO Parent Engagement.
Top 10 Parent Strategies for Keeping Madeira Students Safe in a Digital World
- 1. Have open and honest conversations with your child about their use of technology and social media.
- 2. Set the expectation that you will check your child’s phone as a means of supporting them to be safe.
- 3. Use a tool to restrict or limit your child’s ability to purchase/load new apps onto their phone and use of the internet during certain times of the day/night.
- 4. Set boundaries that limit screen time, keep devices out of bedrooms at night, and encourage the use of technology in common places in the home.
- 5. Tell kids they are required to give you their phone passcodes as a part of having the phone.
- 6. Parents should be good role models by monitoring their own use of technology and social media.
- 7. Set up a central charging station for all family members. Do not allow kids to routinely charge their phones in their rooms.
- 8. When your child gets a cell phone, write a contract together for how the supervision of the cell phone/social media use will take place.
- 9. Encourage students to self-monitor their phone use and to seek help when they are experiencing a problem.
- 10. Be proactive to help students be aware of problems with technology and social media and teach strategies to remove themselves from problem situations.
Being involved in your child's digital world is important. Let's work together as parents to keep our kids safe. Thanks for partnering with us to make Madeira a great place for kids!