August 12, 2021
The excitement and anticipation continues to build as we make final preparations to welcome students back on Wednesday, August 18th! Be sure to check out the beginning of the year safety protocols below. The last few items listed are specific to MHS.
Don't forget today is Back-to-School Packet Pick-up for grades 10-12! Packets may be picked up today until 2:00pm and between 12:30pm - 2:00pm tomorrow. We will be practicing social distancing and directional entry/exiting of the building. Please use the main entrance of the high school. Wearing a mask is strongly recommended while in the building.
Seniors can now purchase parking passes today and tomorrow! Juniors may begin purchasing parking passes on Monday, August 16th. Download and complete the Parking Pass Application (Click here). There are printed applications available in the main office for those who cannot print from home. Students are reminded that overflow parking is available daily at Connections Church.
Take care and stay well!
Go Mustangs! Go Amazons! Go Madeira!
Important Dates and Events
12 - Back-to-School Packet Pick-Up Grades 10-12 8:00am - 2:00pm in Main Office
12 - Post Secondary Planning Q&A Sessions 6:30pm and 7:30pm - Virtual (see details below)
12 & 13 - Senior Parking Passes on Sale 8:00am - 2:00pm in Main Office
16 & 17 - Junior Parking Passes on Sale 8:00am - 2:00pm in Main Office
18 - FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL GRADES 9-12! 7:35am
23 - Back-to-School Night 7:00pm-8:30pm at MHS
27 - Picture Day
2021-22 BEGINNING OF THE YEAR SAFETY PROTOCOLS
Facial Coverings / Masks
Per ODH and HCPH, it is strongly recommended that unvaccinated students and staff wear masks while indoors. Per CDC and public transportation guidelines, all students on school buses are required to wear masks while being transported on a school bus and on extracurricular trips or school vans.
Vaccinations & COVID-19 Protocols
- Vaccinations are encouraged as an effective way to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and protect yourself. Vaccines are not required and vaccination status will be voluntary as needed for contact tracing.
- Parents should monitor their student for signs or symptoms of COVID-19 and do a wellness check prior to sending their child to school. Students who are ill, have a temperature or are feeling sick should not be sent to school.
- Madeira City Schools does not order quarantines or isolations, but we are required by HCPH to report and assist HCPH in contact tracing.
- Students and staff who test positive for COVID-19 will be required to self-isolate at home for 10 days.
- Students who have been exposed and are identified as a close contact (per HCPHD guidelines) while at school or in an extracurricular will be required to follow quarantine guidelines set by HCPHD. Only unmasked and unvaccinated students and staff need to quarantine.
- Assignments will be available on Schoology or classes may be available online through Zoom during a quarantine period. ***The option to Zoom will only be utilized for verified health department quarantines.
- Incidence of being identified as a close contact can be reduced by getting vaccinated or wearing a mask.
- Students and staff are expected to practice personal health hygiene including appropriately covering a cough, frequently washing their hands and maintaining social distance when practical.
- Cleaning protocols and regular wiping down of surfaces will continue.
- Outdoor classroom spaces will continue to be used.
- Ventilation settings will continue to circulate outside air
- Refillable water bottles are recommended. Refill stations are available.
- Social distancing, use of lockers and backpacks, assigned seating in classrooms, expanded lunchroom seating options, and classroom sanitizing stations will all be implemented at MHS.
It is worth reiterating again the importance of being able to adjust and adapt as needed. We are continuing to monitor our local conditions and data in partnership with our local health officials and will update protocols as needed.
My Madeira Promise
We will again be asking students, staff and parents to sign on and commit to the updated My Madeira Promise 2021-2022. Our first response must always be to care for those who are ill or who may become ill as it will take a shared commitment from everyone to make our school year the best it can be.
Thank you for your continued patience, trust and support.
MHS First Day of School - Wednesday, August 18th
All MHS students will report to their Common Time teachers at 7:35am on the first day of school. There they will receive important information and items such as lockers, Chromebooks, handbooks, and more to get them organized and ready to attend classes. Common Time teachers and room numbers are printed on student schedules as part of the Back-to-School Packets.
All students will receive their Chromebooks on the first day of school. They will be fully charged and updated for another year of service. Freshman will be issued new Chromebooks and chargers.
Lockers And Backpacks - NEW UPDATE
Students will be assigned a locker to use this year. All backpacks, surplus school supplies, lunches, and personal items not required for classroom use are expected to be stored in lockers at the beginning of each day. Students may access their lockers between classes as needed.
NEW: In order to reduce the number of students using lockers at any given time, we are permitting students to use their backpacks to carry materials and supplies for 2-3 classes at a time. Students are encouraged to reduce the number of trips to their locker as much as possible.
MHS Student Day for 2021-22
The instructional day at MHS will be 7:35am-2:35pm, with staggered dismissal times for bus and car riders. We are returning to seven period day. The bell schedule will be as follows:
Period 1 7:35 - 8:22
Period 2 8:26 - 9:16
Period 3 9:20 - 10:07
Period 4 10:11 - 10:58
Period 5 11:02 - 12:24
A Lunch: 10:58 - 11:33
A Lunch Class 11:37 - 12:24
B Lunch Class 11:02 - 11:49
B Lunch: 11:49 - 12:24
Common Time 12:28 - 12:53
Period 6 12:57 - 1:44
Period 7 1:48 - 2:39*
*2:35 to buses, 2:39 to cars
There will not be late arrival or early dismissal options.
Junior and Senior Post Secondary Planning Presentations
The Post Secondary Planning Presentations for 11th and 12th grade families are now available using the links below. The presentations are pre-recorded and made available to families to watch before the Q&A sessions via Zoom later tonight. These information presentations are designed to assist families navigating the junior and senior years of high school as they prepare students for college and careers after high school.
Junior Presentation: 210810 JuniorPSPParents.mp4
Senior Presentation: 210809 SeniorPSPParents.mp4
The counseling team will be available this evening, August 12th, at 6:30pm and 7:30pm via Zoom to answer any questions families may have from the presentations. The Q&A sessions will be recorded and shared with families. Here are the links for the Q&A sessions:
11th Grade Question and Answer Session - Thursday, August 12th at 6:30pm
Meeting ID: 844 6378 5068
12th Grade Question and Answer Session - Thursday, August 12th at 7:30pm
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83112359698?pwd=MVZ5cTFKR3pDSmFHM3YyTUgwcnRHQT09 Meeting ID: 831 1235 9698 Passcode: PSP
Freshman and New Parent Information
In case you missed the information night, click here to download and view the presentation slides. If you have any questions, please email Ms. Bloostrom or I at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Update Your Students' Information
As we do each year, please take a few minutes to verify and update your student's important emergency contact and health information. Completing this online process helps reduce the amount of paperwork parents receive at the beginning of the school year. Thanks in advance for your time in getting this completed.
Please follow these simple steps:
1. Use this secure link to access and review your student's registration information: https://cas.madeiracityschools.org/cas_MadeiraCityOH/login
2. For each returning student, you will need to use the following username and password to verify their information:
Username: Student ID Number
Password: Student Birthdate (MM/DD/YYYY)
3. Follow the prompts to complete verification of your student's information
The USDA has extended free school lunch for all students for the 2021-22 school year. At MHS there are many extra items that can be purchased that are not covered in this program. You can add money to your student's account by following the steps below (please note this is NOT the same account to pay school fees).
To set-up/access your PaySchools account:
Go to PaySchools Central.
Complete the information on the next few pages.
NOTE: When you get to the "District" questions - scroll down and choose Milford EVSV.
Continue to log in and complete.
Lifetouch Photography will be taking school pictures at school on August 27th. The back-to-school packets have more information for ordering pictures.
Class Supply Lists
Click this link to download Supply List for 2021-2022.
The high school office is open daily Monday - Friday from 8am - 2:30pm.
Our transportation staff is preparing bus route information for the start of the school year. You will be able to access the must current information by clicking here.
Be sure to keep up with all the exciting things happening at MHS by following along on Twitter at @MadeiraHSPrin.
David Kennedy, Madeira High School Principal
7465 Loannes Drive, Madeira OH firstname.lastname@example.org