our children and remind them that they are forming habits in their self-talk and some of those habits are not the best – particularly when they attach importance to things that really don’t matter.
This is the “coaching point” for this week – please help our young people find and focus on what matters and encourage them to have self-talk which produces productive results and helps a student feel good about who he/she is. The influence of social media – Snap chat, Instagram, Facebook, etc., - can be such a distractor to keeping our eyes on what matters and what is significant. We may fall prey to this from time to time, but our students are even more susceptible to having automatic thoughts invade their self-talk. “Who or what can you control?” is still a great question to ask our children to help them refocus their self-talk in a good way. Thank you for reinforcing this important message.
MES Changing Hands Sale
It is still cold outside but MES's Spring Consignment Sale is just around the corner! Mark your calendars for Saturday, March 2 from 9am-1pm for this season's Changing Hands Sale. Anything and everything for kids (from newborn to teen) can be sold, but clothing and accessories are limited to Spring and Summer only. Whether you're shopping or selling, you won't want to miss it. Consignor registration is open online at www.changinghandssale.com.! The fee to register is $11 and can be paid online via Paypal or with a check made out to the MES PTO. Consigning is open to the general public (Madeira and beyond), so don't delay! Your spot will be reserved once the online form is complete and the fee has been paid. Looking forward to another successful sale and many bargains to be found. Interested in volunteering? Volunteer positions will be posted (and a link available on our website) through VolunteerSpot in early February. Questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or for more up-to-date announcements, follow us on Facebook.
Register for Madeira's 6th Annual Father Daughter Dance!
Madeira's National Honor Society would like to invite daughters and their fathers, stepfathers, grandpas, brothers, or uncles to attend this special event being held on April 5, 2019, in the Madeira High School Gymnasium from 7:00-9:00 p.m. *Semi-Formal Attire
Cost is $25 per couple $5 each additional daughter. The deadline to register is April 3rd. Space is limited! Click here to register.
Dates to Note:
- Tuesday, February 12th – 6:00 p.m. - Freshman Focus (for current 8th graders and parents) will be held at MHS in Medert Auditorium. Please plan to attend!
- Wednesday, February 13th – 9:15 a.m. – District-wide joint PTO meeting at MES – please join us!
- Thursday, February 14th – 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. – PTO sponsors the “Skyzone” social for all 7th and 8th grade students
- Friday, February 15th – No School – teacher professional development day
- Monday, February 18th – No School – Presidents’ Day holiday
- Friday, March 1st – 7th grade Courage Retreat sponsored by the PTO
- Wednesday, March 6th – 1:30 p.m. - Early release for students – staff in-service
- Thursday, March 7th – 7th and 8th grade Band and Choir Concert – 7:00 p.m. – Medert Auditorium
- Friday, March 15th – 3:00 – 4:30 p.m. - 5th/6th grade social at MMS – sponsored by the PTO
For other important community announcements impacting our students don’t forget to click on this link Student Opportunities to find out more about club sports, youth and community sports, and other activities available to our middle school students.
- Madeira Youth Baseball Skills Camp – grades K-8
- Madeira Rec Softball – registration information
- Madeira Rec Baseball – registration information
- Spring Rec Volleyball – registration information (Deadline is February 22nd)
- Madeira Youth Lacrosse (boys and girls) – registration information
Please continue to monitor your child’s academic progress by logging onto Schoology. In addition you may email (please use the Madeira City Schools email address) or call a teacher (561-5555) if you have any questions about an assignment or a grade. We are grateful for the partnership we have with each of you to help all students succeed!