While unexpected changes to our schools' schedules are a last resort, we want you to be aware of our procedures in advance. Reasons to cancel or delay any or all Madeira City School facilities would most likely be related to inclement weather conditions. Other conditions such as loss of electrical power or water, damage due to a storm, or other emergency circumstances could also require us to adjust school hours. Early dismissal times are situational and will be communicated as much in advance as possible.
In the event of inclement weather, schools for the 2020-2021 school year will either be open or closed. Given our academic scheduling at MHS and MMS due to safe practice COVID protocols, we will not be utilizing a delay schedule for inclement weather. While we understand that a delay in some instances would help us, trying to adjust schedules and maintain our safety guidelines due to COVID do not make it possible. We always try to make our determination as soon as possible and will begin notification to families in the following order:
- Radio and television stations will be notified as soon as a decision is made.
- An email message will be sent to families as soon as a decision is made.
- Our automated phone system will contact your home phone number and parent mobile phone numbers that you have provided to be used in the case of an emergency no earlier than 5:45 AM. Madeira Preschool is included in the Madeira Elementary School lists.
- A message will be sent out through our district social media outlets.
- In the event of inclement weather arriving after the start of the school day, students in elementary and middle school will not be released except upon direct contact with the parent or person(s) listed as an emergency contact. If bus transportation cannot be provided, students will be kept at school until a parent can pick up their student.
These procedures are in place every school year to help keep our students safe whether they ride a bus, walk, or ride. If you have any questions please call 985-6070.